The August Edinburgh Festivals are about to blossom for another year but this year it’s going to be deliciously different as Hickory Bars will be spouting beautifully in the heart of Edinburgh. We’ll be there to serve you and your friends and family much-needed refreshments during the festival.
Our pop-up Botanical Garden Bar can be found in the picturesque grounds of George Heriot’s School on Lauriston Place, where the BBC at the Edinburgh Festivals are setting up their base for August.
Fringe venue no. 25, open every day 4th – 25th August and entry is free.
The Botanical Garden Bar is all about cultivating a love for Scottish gin and celebrating the best locally produced fresh and floral spirits, served with seasonal and artisanal garnishes. You can literally drink your way around the map of Scotland and some of the top brands on offer are getting international recognition for their gin.
If you are into gin as much as our mixologists, let us put the how into ‘wow’ and create for you a Scottish gin cocktail. Our bespoke lovely summer cocktails and craft beers will be a true highlight of this Scottish experience, along with locally produced vodka and whisky.
The venue is going to be truly fun for everyone, young and old and we’re so excited. From children’s activities to free BBC shows and live music each night, we’ll be there to cater for everyone visiting throughout the day.
The Botanical Garden Bar was a great success at The Royal Highland Show this year and the pop-up bar will have a cool garden shed makeover for the Fringe. It’s going to be looking gorgeous and the bar staff can rustle up the perfect serve, bringing out the best flavour with the perfect tonic.
We’ll be there from gin o’clock to beer o’clock to complement the hive of activity that the BBC brings to the Edinburgh Festivals.
Programme highlights this year include BBC Breakfast, the much-loved Just a Minute, and Radio 2 favourites including Steve Wright in the Afternoon and The Michael Ball Show.
Audiences coming along can enjoy –
- Free BBC shows and broadcasts in the big Blue Tent, with show tickets available daily – come on in and ask at the Info Point.
- Free daily drop-in activities for children in the Garden.
- Live music on the Bandstand in the Garden after 5pm each night – no ticket required! Featuring the best of the local music scene including up-and-coming artists.
- Exclusive views of Edinburgh Castle and the magnificent fireworks of The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo
- Garden Big Screen showing BBC programmes including coverage of the World Championships in Athletics, as well as relaying shows from the Blue Tent stage
- Table tennis and giant garden games
- Virtual Reality (VR) experience in the Future Tent
- Lots of comfortable seating, and plenty of cover in case of inclement weather
- Accessible facilities
- Free Wi-Fi.
- Hot and cold drinks and food
Slap, bang in the middle of the action at the Edinburgh Festivals, so lots of venues nearby! The bar will be easily accessible for a wee drink on the way to a show or on the way back for a post-show concoction. Come along with your friends for the live music each night.
The venue will be a great option at any time of day to chill out between shows in the bar area or simply to enjoy the atmosphere or try something new with amazing programming from the BBC. The venue can be a great place to socialise, meet new folk and keep the children entertained with lots to do.
The Fringe is all about trying different things and new experiences so it would be a shame not to pop in!